Looking back on the year 2009, it clearly was a year filled with seminal events with the biggest loss being Michael Jackson. Still cannot fathom he is no longer with us. The documentary “This Is It,” highlighted his capability of really coming back stronger than ever. We lost far too many talented people in 2009. We witnessed the diabolical display of arrogance from Kanye West. Chris Brown caught a case of crazy on Rihanna. Lady Gaga‘s scary performance at the VMA’s illustrated that one’s fans can love you to death (I was moved by it). Jay-Z‘s Blueprint 3 with New York’s anthem “Empire State of Mind,” and later performing it at the World Series. It was an eventful year which made it hard to distinguish the good music that actually came out.
Below are the musical highlights I found interesting and enjoyable. Hope you enjoy the selections.
Muphoric Sounds’ Best of 2009
13. Erik Rico “So Much Better” (single)
12. Major Lazer – Guns Don’t Kill People…Lazers Do
11. De La Soul – Rise ‘n Shine feat. Raheem Devaugh from Are You In?
10. DJ Terry Urban – Southerngold
9. Harmonic 313 – When Machines Exceed Human Intelligence
8. Little Dragon – “Thunder Love” from Machine Dreams
7. Dâm-Funk – Toeachizown
6. Cubic Zirconia – “Fuck Work” (Dâm Funk Remix)
5. Shafiq Husayn – En’A-Free-Ka
4. Nicolay – City Lights Vol. 2: Shibuya
3. Maxwell – Blacksummer’s Night
2. Georgia Ann Muldrow – Umsindo
1. Electric Wire Hustle – Electric Wire Hustle
With 2010 just two days away, marks the start of a new flow of music. The most anticipated being Sade‘s album Soldier of Love; D’Angelo‘s comeback album and tour with the help of the ultimate dream team ever — Prince, Questlove, and Raphael Saadiq (D’Angelo better not play us!); Black Milk‘s Album of the Year; projected new release from Radiohead; new album from one of my favorite singers of this time, Bilal Oliver; and new music from other underground artist who haven’t spilled the beans on their projects yet. I’m excited about 2010 and its discoveries, not only on a personal level, but with what this new decade will bring for all.
All the best for 2010 and let’s continue to create fulfilling possibilities for our lives!